Wednesday, November 13, 2013

What You Eat v. What Bill Gate Eats

Rich people food?
There are many different foods that the average person will never get to know in their entire lifetime. Foods that are practically impossible to get. Foods that will have you picking gold out of your teeth. I wanted to open your eyes on some of those foods. 

Are you aware that there is a watermelon that cost around $6,000 dollars? Of course not. We just get whatever watermelons are sold at Target or Cub Foods. 
Densuke Watermelon priced at $6,100


Densuke watermelons, a type of black watermelon grown only on the northern Japanese island of Hokkaido, are usually given as gifts due to their extraordinary rarity. There were only sixty-five of the fruits among the first harvest this season. They are harder and crisper than the watermelons we Americans are used to, and according to Tohma Agricultural Cooperative’s spokesman, they have a different level of sweetness.

See, you cannot simply just go and pick this up at a local grocery store. These watermelons get auctioned. Food...Gets auctioned. Something that goes through your digestive system and disappears within seconds gets auctioned for six thousand dollars. 

                              
Elements That Determine The Price

 RARITY 
Rarity and scarcity play a large role in the food industry. The more rare, the more expensive and value it has. Lets compare seafood, specifically caviar. Now caviar is expensive to start with, but with rarity there is a huge difference. 



Caviar from Costco for $299.99



Almas Caviar priced at $25,000




The Almas caviar is an extremely rare food item from Iran. Caviars are already expensive to begin with, but the rarity of this item makes it even more expensive. As a matter of fact, even finding a store that sells it is like looking for a needle in the haystack. The only store known to carry this item is the Caviar House & Prunier located in Picadilly in London.


UNIQUE
Another factor that plays a role on the taste and price of food is the way it stands out. No one likes normal, everyone wants to be different. We as humans want to stand out. For some that includes their food. Its certain elements and the presentation of the food that gets it attention. For example: The common bagel.  
A normal bagel, priced at $1.29 for a bag.

Westin Hotel Bagel priced at $1,000 EACH

It may just be a bagel, not that different from what you usually have for your breakfast. Then again, this creation of Frank Tujague, the Executive Chef of Westlin Hotel in New York, includes a small amount of white truffle cream cheese and goji berry-infused Riesling jelly that has golden leaves. 

These are just a few elements that play a part in determining the price of a dish. There are many more elements that get used to determine the price. These foods above are merely transformations and upgrades of the original food. 

Do you think a few thousand dollars is worth the upgrade? 




4 comments:

  1. Personally, I feel like a bean isn't necessarily worth more than a grain of rice.. When considering how difficult it can be to harvest certain foods, would manual labor play into the pricing too? If so, why is rice so commonly served as a side dish? I grew up in a family where my parents always enforced us to eat every last bit, and waste none, due to both my parents growing up in extreme poverty. I think they more than most, understood the true worth of food, the true worth of that single grain of rice. And for me, as I see it, ultimately food enters one end and comes out another despite it's price tag haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so impresing, how a bagel can cost $1,000. I don't see the point, I think that even I were to be rich I will still want to save money as much as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think this makes any sense at all. Why would you pay that much money for something that might not even taste that great? I'm a picky eater so I guess I just wouldn't be able to even bring myself to try it for fear that I would hate the taste of it. Not only that but it's bad enough groceries cost so much in today's society. I could think of a few things I'd rather spend one thousand bucks on than a bagel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I mean why not? Aren't you curious? I would definetly want to try these foods, atleast once.

    ReplyDelete