Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Duck dynasty






Duck dynasty has made duck hunting and duck calls an “in” thing. I get a laugh when I have people that have never set foot in a duck blind or on duck calling contest stage tell me all about both like their old salts (experienced) in the sport because they’re starting the fourth season of the show. I was raised in a duck blind since I was three years old and have spent almost every fall day in a duck blind or goose hunting pit. My father in his younger years was waterfowl hunting guide in Minnesota and to save on babysitting cost toted me along. At age twelve I started competing in duck and goose calling contest and that lead me to a job in development of waterfowl hunting products.  So in a million years I never thought duck calls and duck hunting would become a “trendy” thing but Duck dynasty has done just that. The last time I can remember anything like this happening was in 1992, when Brad Pitt showed people how romantic and symbolic fly fishing can be in the movie, A River Runs Through It. I have mixed feeling about duck hunting becoming a popular trend. Waterfowl hunters are in decline in Minnesota and the new interest that the show brings may help bring new people into the sport which is a good thing. But most people that start something as a trend normally grow tired of it quickly. So we will see how long people stay interested in Duck dynasty and see what kind of impact it has on waterfowl hunting.  

No comments:

Post a Comment