Sunday, September 8, 2013

Music and Emotions

Everyone enjoys listening to music. But why? My band teacher told me that people perform and listen to music mainly because of the emotions that come with it. I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about when I say that some days I like to listen to sad music, and other days I listen to uplifting songs. Why does music have such a great impact on our emotions?


Like many young musicians, I began playing simply because I wanted to know how to make music. I wasn't interested in the emotions and feelings that came along with performing. As I progressed as a musician, I realized that the majority of musicians play music because they want to feel some sort of an emotion and make others feel that emotion, too. Whether it's a rock band, an orchestra, or a marching band, they all perform to affect others on an emotional level.
According to finerminds.com, speech and emotional expression in music affect the brain in a similar way. Many parts of the brain are stimulated by music.

When you listen to music, your auditory cortex perceives and analyzes the tones that you hear. The nucleus accumbens & amygdala  is particularly important with how music and emotions go hand-in-hand; it is involved with the emotional reactions you have when you listen to music . Another part of the brain that is stimulated is the prefrontal cortex. The prefrontal cortex controls behavior, expression, and decision making

A musician's brain will be affected particularly in the motor cortex, in movement with dancing or playing an instrument. Their brain is also affected within the visual cortex, sensory cortex. Musicians brains are also stimulated in all the same ways that a listener's brain is.

We all love to listen to music, and even if it's only subconsciously, everyone is affected emotionally by music. Whether it's performing or simply listening to a song, our brain will be greatly stimulated. Many parts of the brain, including the auditory cortex, motor cortex, and the nucleus accumbens and amygdala, are all affected by listening to or playing music.

2 comments:

  1. I never knew this. It makes sense though. I listen to a wide range of music, everything from jazz to hard rock, but the music I choose depends on my mood. This article really put it in perspective for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is cool, I'm a huge fan of music and have listened to everything from classical music to rap. It's interesting to see how so many parts of the brain are involved with listening to simply just listening to music. I also can relate to how mood might affect music that you choose, whether I decide to listen to piano music while I'm down or rock when I'm angry or need to feel uplifted.

    ReplyDelete